The municipal district of Son Servera is situated in the north east of Mallorca, covering an area of 42.8 km2 and 7 km of coastline. The village of Son Servera, which is very close to the sea, was originally a small hamlet within the district of ArtÓ. The village in its early form can be seen at the square of Plaša de Sant Joan, which is documented as far back as 1585; this area comprises an open space from where a series of narrow streets lead off, with houses that provide a fine example of traditional Mallorcan architecture as well as some ancestral homes. The Church of Sant Joan Baptista, which is located on the same square, was begun in 1699; it has a rectangular layout that is covered by a half-barrel-vault roof, with six lateral chapels and a simple interior decorative style. The bell tower is the only remaining fragment of the defence tower of the old estate of Son Frai GarÝ. There are now cafÚs and restaurants on this site.
The Esglesia Nova (New Church), on the street of Carrer de les Creus, is an unfinished work in the neo-Gothic style that was designed by a student of the Catalan architect Antoni GaudÝ. Construction began in 1906, with the whole village helping out; however, a lack of resources brought this ambitious project to a halt and, in 1931, works were stopped, leaving the building in its current state. It is now used for cultural events.
At Son Servera there is a railway station which was constructed in the 19th century; trains ran here from Palma de Mallorca until 1977. There is a movement which is working to get train services brought back to this station, which currently houses the Municipal Music School.
|Help other travellers and be the first to write a review in English.